Pinky's Place

"That which does not kill you will only make you stronger."

Friday, June 30, 2006

A Girl...And Her Phone

It's taken me a full month and a half to finally feel as though I'm on summer vacation. I guess that's because it's been a few years since I haven't been working through the summer or what not. I'm not even sure that it's a good thing because essentially that means I'm unemployed and poor as sh*t.

That is not to say that I've had an entirely uneventful time. To be fair, there hasn't been any real drama (how can there be when i'm not in some form or another suffering from biochem?!). In fact, all the juicy stuff has been happening to my friends...instead of me! So I suppose I will have to blog in their honour.

Drama/Funny story that probably isn't so funny when it happens #1:
My friend Olga* was meeting another friend one day at Carrefour Angrignon. It was to get some sort of device for a hairdryer or something. In any case, Olga* suggested that perhaps it would be easier to find at Future Shop, which is located across the busy intersection. However, before hop, skipping and jumping across, Olga* recieved a text message on her phone. Afterwards, she put her phone back into her bag and zipped it up. I know, I know. Nothing happens yet. But this is where you begin to shake your head and murmer words of pity. Given this busy intersection has very limited time in which you can cross it, this pair of fearless friends scurried across. At which time Olga* felt something fall. So. On the other side now of the intersection, Olga* is now saying in her head:

"That better not have been my motherf*cking phone!" (She had already lost one phone to a tragic bathroom incident).

But alas...a lone cell phone was now lying in the busy intersection amidst the bustling traffic controlled by reckless Quebec drivers. What to do?!

"Screw that sh*t, I'm gonna get my phone!" Olga* exlaims as she steps foot onto the street but is forced to retreat by an oncoming car that showed no signs of slowing down.

That car passes alongisde the phone without touching it. Whew. Ok, Let's try this again. Nope. More cars are coming!

"Oh, it'll be ok, this car coming right now is in a different lane than my phone" Olga* so naivly thinks. The car decides to change lanes. DAMN YOU Murphy's Law!!

With a sickening crunch, the phone had recieved its last text message.

With horror, Olga* can only watch as the faceplate is violented wrenched from the body. Sadly, the mindless violence continues as the onslaught of traffic arrives to crush the battery that had been separated.

Finally. A single moment presents itself so that Olga* can salvage the broken pieces of what once served as a lifeline to the outside world.

Olga* carries the pieces to a safe area where she can maybe, just maybe, see if there is any signs of life. The mangled battery is replaced into a spot where it once called home but now was a foreign place of crushed silver coloured plastic. She holds her breath. She waits.

There is no dial tone.

Be here for part 2 of this harrowing tale of a girl....and her mashed up cell phone.

*Names have been changed to protect the identities of the victims.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home